Priceless

Image
  *Daniel’s pov* I tried and tried to find something worthwhile in Rose’s cabin. I didn’t find anything that seemed out of work. I don’t know if I could ever call her Aubrey. She will always be Rose for me. Rose. Delicate, gentle, and strong. I needed to know what secrets she was hiding that was troubling her. I would not think twice before taking all those horrible things away from her at any cost and hiding her safe from the entire world. She deserves calm and peace. She deserves everything. Just as I get searching the last cupboard, the shrill ring of my phone alerts me. My stomach twists when I see it’s Sophie calling. I had this weird feeling nagging at me that I pushed down not so long ago. “Is everything okay?” are the words that drop out of my mouth just as I answer the call. “Dan- Daniel, um,” she takes a breath in before continuing, “um, I think you should come here-” I end the call before she says anything more. This can’t be good. The familiar feeling of p

I'm Funny

 


The moon was shining around the crest and the stars were glowing beautifully as the night grew. If they were not in the situation they were in, it must’ve sounded like a romantic night.

Daniel was far more worried about Rose than what he showed. Though, if he was being honest, he had asked her about a million times if she was alright and she had stopped answering after the third time.

“Can you please say something different? Like distract me from the pain instead of reminding me about it every three seconds!” groaned Rose just as Daniel had started to ask her if she was alright again.

“Umm, what do I tell you?” Daniel asked being confused about what to talk about at the moment.

“Anything! Just- ugh… tell me any random thing…”

“Oh, I’ll tell you a joke. So why is the nose in the middle of our face?” he asked as he looked in the back mirror trying to see her reaction.

“I- um- I don’t know. Why?” she asked curiously.

“Well, it’s the scenter,” Daniel said while laughing at his own joke. He laughed for a good minute and then looked at Rose who didn’t even break a smile and asked, “Was it that bad?”

“Uh-huh, so bad that it was actually funny,” she said as she let out a suppressed giggle. “But no more jokes, they’re more terrible than the pain.”

“Ugh, my jokes are wonderful, please.”

“Huh, sure!” she said sarcastically. “So, tell me- uh- why do you call the doctor ‘Potato’?” leaning over to look at him.

“Hey sit carefully!” he ordered.

“Yes boss!” she said jokingly and sat back carefully. “Now, storytime!”

“Okay, that’s a funny story, alright. So when we were in middle school, we were just learning how to make something for ourselves. Like we used to melt the chocolates and reshape them and call it our special homemade chocolates and all… And the funny thing was that we used to pay each other for that. Potato was- no let me correct myself- is the biggest foodie I know of. So one day he was making potato sandwiches, which was just some sauces and potato mash between the pieces of bread. And I paid him 10 pounds to make a sandwich, remember my words okay?” he said as she slowly turned around the main street which was, as expected, full of cars and it meant being a little longer to get to the hospital.

“So I told him to make a sandwich, and he took the money for it. Half an hour later I went into the kitchen wondering what took so long. Turns out, he made the sandwich and ate it himself. He said that I paid him to make the sandwiches, but I didn’t mention who was to eat it.”

Rose laughed at it and said while laughing, “He is a better lawyer than I am!”

“Yeah, we all agreed to be very specific while talking to him thereafter. He justified it as ‘He did it all because of his love for potatoes’. Like we knew he didn’t like potatoes, he liked them only because they were in the sandwich. And then we started calling him Potato and I guess the name stuck with him.”

“It’s adorable,” was all she said.

“What?”

“Your friendship.”

“Well, you haven’t met him yet. Bet you’ll be annoyed by his jokes from the first moment. They’re terrible than mine.”

“I don’t think anyone can surpass that last joke. I am going to have nightmares over it.”

“Well good luck on that. So here’s another one.”

“Noooo,” she groaned.

“What did the blanket say when it fell from the bed?”

“I don’t know. Why is it saying anything in the first place?” she said rolling her eyes.

“Well,” he continued ignoring her last sentence, “oh sheet!” and continued laughing at his joke again.

“Ugh,” she said and gave out a loud sigh, “Are we at the hospital yet?”

“No, why? Are you alright?” suddenly turning serious.

“No I can’t stand your jokes,” she said with a sheepish grin.

“Was that- was that a pun?” he said after a minute

“Oh great, I thought you’d never catch it,” she said laughing.

“Are you serious!”

“No. I am Rose. I thought you already knew that!” she said giving a fake exasperated look.

He rolled his eyes in annoyance and turned to the hospital. There, with the help of the nurses, they quickly let her in and lead them to the doctor.

There he met Potato and after a moment of greetings, which Daniel was not interested in, he took Rose to the surgery room. Potato was exactly how you might not imagine a man with the description Daniel gave. He was tall and slender with the body like an athlete. He had brown straight hair and green alluring eyes. This was definitely not how Rose had imagined him to be.

After a quick x-ray, when the report came back Potato told them that no surgery was required and just a cast over the broken bone would do the job.

Then she was taken into the operating room, where Daniel followed even though he wasn’t said to do so. Potato touched slowly the area around the wounded area and just as Rose winced a little Daniel quickly held her hand and gently squeezed it. She sent him a quick smile and he sent her one back as he softly patted her head.

Potato looked at them and with a mischievous smile said, “Sorry was just pulling her leg.”

“Okay, he officially makes worse jokes than you. No offence, doctor,” she said with a little smile. Daniel observed how she used to go back to the Rose he met the first day; reserved and observant. But he was glad she now was joking around and being the person she was.

The doctor then plastered her leg and after few moments said, “You are good to go now, but I think you should stay here overnight for observation. You can go in the morning tomorrow. What do you think?” he said gesturing over to Daniel.

“Yeah, sure. We should take no risks. She is staying under observation for the night,” he said after giving it a thought.

“I am-,”  she was interrupted by Daniel. “No ‘if’s and ‘but’s. You are staying under observation and it’s final, okay?”

She rolled her eyes and nodded in annoyance. “I was going to say I am hungry!”

“Well, Potato does she need a special diet or something?”

“No, no. She can eat whatever she likes,” Potato replied.

“So I am ordering a burger, you up for one doc?” he said looking back at Potato.

“Hard to say no to a burger!”

---------

So now we know the origin story of Potato... Off-topic but potatoes are amazing, aren't they?

Continuing today's joke; Go do what you want and break a leg everyone!

Also, don't forget to follow my blog so you won't miss an update...
And don't forget to check out my other blogs too!!

See you next Thursday!!💕

Comments

  1. So “punny”….well written 🥰🥰

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so wonderful reading today....jokes were really too bad...but I know boys are bad at cracking good jokes in such situations. You have portrayed that part very nicely....specially the reaction of Rose on those jokes. Potato ended up making such home too...which shows how best buddies Daniel and potato are. Potatoes are most demanding vegetable globally...it has turned out to be cost saving vegetables in terms of crises in poor country... I like potatoes. And potato here actually turned out different from my imagination too. Hope there is no love triangle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I guess you too couldn't *stand* my jokes!! So glad that you loved the blog!! Thank you for your wonderful comment as always!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Smart Ways To Deal with Mean Comments!!

Hope

Uncomfortable silence