Priceless

Image
  *Daniel’s pov* I tried and tried to find something worthwhile in Rose’s cabin. I didn’t find anything that seemed out of work. I don’t know if I could ever call her Aubrey. She will always be Rose for me. Rose. Delicate, gentle, and strong. I needed to know what secrets she was hiding that was troubling her. I would not think twice before taking all those horrible things away from her at any cost and hiding her safe from the entire world. She deserves calm and peace. She deserves everything. Just as I get searching the last cupboard, the shrill ring of my phone alerts me. My stomach twists when I see it’s Sophie calling. I had this weird feeling nagging at me that I pushed down not so long ago. “Is everything okay?” are the words that drop out of my mouth just as I answer the call. “Dan- Daniel, um,” she takes a breath in before continuing, “um, I think you should come here-” I end the call before she says anything more. This can’t be good. The familiar feeling of p

Fights and Burgers!



Have you ever watched a movie with a massive cliffhanger and wondered all the year about what must have been in the ending for it? Daniel was somehow in the same situation right now. The moments from an hour ago were resurfacing his mind. He was confused; very confused right now.

“Yes, it’s him. He’s here.”

Her voice echoed in his mind, re-walking him through the memory. He had returned back to her house after dropping her to ask if she wanted to have dinner with him. He was confused when he heard those words. Who was she talking about? And to whom?

“Yes, I understand, sir,” she spoke up again after a moment.

After a brief time, he walked in through the open door. She turned with an impressive speed and with a scary expression on her face. Just as she recognised him, her face turned from scary to scared. She was still in her white gown, her hair now messier than before and her face make-up-less which just made her look prettier than before if that was possible. But right now, Daniel was more interested in the fact that she stood scarred in front of him when she thought he had heard her. She was never scared of anyone.

“What are you doing here?!” she asked with anger rising in her voice.

“I-um- I just- I just came to ask if you wanted to have a burger or something, you hadn’t eaten anything earlier,” he explained.

“Well, how many times do I have to repeat that I am an adult who can take care of herself?!” her volume increasing by the moment.

“I’m sorry, I just came to ask you for dinner and all you’re being is mean!” Daniel exclaimed back. Rose rolled her eyes and took a deep breath as Daniel continued, “What was that about?” he asked gesturing to the phone.

Rose closed her eyes, took a deep breath again and replied with anger still underlying in her tone as she said, “And why must I tell you about it?”

“Because I asked?” he replied with an ‘obviously’ expression written all over his face.

“Can you just stop it!” she said exasperatedly.

“Stop what?” he asked with his tone now matching hers. He wasn’t even sure why they were fighting over no apparent reason. Well to be fair, he wasn’t fighting, she was.

“Everyone barging into my life and trying to control it, that!”

“What do you mean-”

“And who are you to ask me who I was talking to?”

“Well, a no-one who just happened to overhear your conversation. Now care to explain to me why the hell are you so fussed up about?”

“I- I am – I AM NOT ANGRY!” she yelled at him and he noticed how she had her palms rolled into a fist to the point where her knuckles were white.

“CAN YOU JUST STOP INTERFERING IN MY LIFE!” she burst at him with her back turned towards him and turning back she said, “And for the record, One is not supposed to overhear conversations!” she exclaimed angrily.

“Well, good thing then that I ‘happened’ to overhear it because I obviously didn’t ‘want’ to do so!” he exclaimed back. He was a calm person until someone grew him to his limit. Right now, he was on the verge of losing his calm. “And, I am interfering in your life? Seriously? You know everything about me, from my friends to my family! And what do I know about you apart from the fact that you are a lawyer!” Daniel sassed back knowing well that he must not lose his calm, not right now.

“Well-” she started but was interrupted by Daniel saying, “I think you should calm down first and tell me what’s wrong.”

“Nothing’s wrong! I just need some space! Why does no one seem to understand that!”

“Okay fine!” he exclaimed as he walked out of the door.

 His mind jolted back to the current moment as his name was called out. He took the burgers and drove back to Rose’s house. Just as he was parking his car, her name flashed on his phone and just as he answered the call, she said into the phone without a breath, “Hey Dan, listen I’m so sorry about that. I just took out my anger on you. So sorry about that. You alright?”

He chuckled and ended the call as he rang the bell. She opened the door with a confused expression, which he guessed might’ve been due to the phone call, and it turned into a smile as she shook her head.

“So you were waiting for me to just apologise, weren’t you?” she said with a smile. God, she looked pretty this way.

“What makes you think I wasn’t sitting outside the whole time?”

“Well, um I saw you drive away with your car,” she replied moving aside for him to come in.

“Oh, I almost forgot your Sherlock tactics,” he said with a laugh. “Here, have a burger,” he said handing her the bag.

“Oh god, you’re the best!” she said with a tired smile.

“All right, good night then.”

“You are not going to eat? You’ve brought two burgers?”

“It’s alright. You look tired.”

“Uh, come on. You deserve more than just a burger after going through all my tantrums, but that’s all I have right now. Wanna watch some movie?” she asked with a dimpled smile.

“Ah, we’re definitely watching The Conjuring!”

They had their burgers whilst watching the movie and just as expected, Rose was not at all scared even once during the movie and by the time it had ended, she had slept on the couch itself with her head on Daniel’s shoulder. 'Maybe the cliffhanger was worth it all ' he thought.

------

What were your thoughts about today's blog? A bit of banter but who and what was she talking about? Why was she scared when she saw Daniel had heard her over the phone?

Do let me know in the comments

Comments

  1. After all these long that we have come Rose is scared of something for the first time.... There was that bad day, death of a colleague, that accident of hers, nothing has bothered her these much. It has to be something really big or else she has now that SOMEONE in her life whom she is afraid to loose. But yes they truly admire their relationship of friendship and that is why they both reacted in these manner. Daniel is not going to get good sleep because it's his first time to go through such time with Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five months too late to reply, but exactly as you said for the first time she has someone to lose and that might be the reason for her being this mad at him.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Smart Ways To Deal with Mean Comments!!

Hope

Uncomfortable silence