Priceless

Image
  *Daniel’s pov* I tried and tried to find something worthwhile in Rose’s cabin. I didn’t find anything that seemed out of work. I don’t know if I could ever call her Aubrey. She will always be Rose for me. Rose. Delicate, gentle, and strong. I needed to know what secrets she was hiding that was troubling her. I would not think twice before taking all those horrible things away from her at any cost and hiding her safe from the entire world. She deserves calm and peace. She deserves everything. Just as I get searching the last cupboard, the shrill ring of my phone alerts me. My stomach twists when I see it’s Sophie calling. I had this weird feeling nagging at me that I pushed down not so long ago. “Is everything okay?” are the words that drop out of my mouth just as I answer the call. “Dan- Daniel, um,” she takes a breath in before continuing, “um, I think you should come here-” I end the call before she says anything more. This can’t be good. The familiar feeling of p

Hope



 She’s going to be alright. She’s going to be alright. She’s going to be alright.

This was the only thing that was running through Daniel’s mind that day.

Sometimes when the situation is going against us, we don’t completely accept it. We try to convince ourselves otherwise. Somehow we try to keep that hope lightened up; wishing that something will change with our thoughts. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t but that hope itself is strong enough to keep our minds calm.

Rose was shifted from the Intensive care but due to some complications, she had flat-lined two hours ago. The sheer panic that Daniel had experienced was one of the worst feelings he had felt.

The déjà vu.

Doctors had managed to control the situation and bring her back. Those fifteen minutes were the most torturous moments.

She almost died.

It’s funny how everything changes in just one moment. Since that moment, Daniel had been stuck near Rose. He didn’t say anything, nor did he leave his grip on Rose’s hand.

Why didn’t she react? She is always so quick to react. Why didn’t she do anything?

“Hey, smartass,” Sophie’s words cut off his thoughts as she said, “she had a plaster over her leg, how was she even supposed to run?”

“Uh, sorry what?” Daniel asked being confused as usual.

“I said, she had a plaster over her leg. She obviously couldn’t run,” she said shrugging her shoulders as she brought in some things in her hand, “You were mumbling things, I couldn’t help but overhear.”

“What’s that?” Daniel asked motioning his head towards her hand.

“Oh I was going to ask you about it, they’re Rose’s belongings. They just handed it over. Do you want to keep them?”

“Uh, I- I don’t know, but you wouldn’t mind if I… you know, keep them? She’ll wake up in a while so I will give it to her, will that be alright?” he asked in a slow tone.

Sophie couldn’t help but smile over how genuinely worried he sounded. Even though he tried to hide it, it was clear as the glass that he cared so much about her.

She had known Rose for around a year now. She had seen the change Daniel brought in her. She still would overwork herself and wouldn’t talk to anyone much beyond her comfort zone but she had started smiling more. She had started lowering her walls. She wasn’t a different person overnight, but she was happy.

“No, you can have it,” she said with a smile but later added, “You won’t steal from her house using the keys now, will you?”

Daniel chuckled as he shook his head and held his hands up as he said, “No promises.”

While they were talking, a nurse, probably over the age of fifty, came in and said, “Sorry to intrude, but the visiting hours are up now. One of you will have to go, I’m sorry.”

Sophie looked at him and said, “Daniel, you’ve been here for too long. Go on, have a good sleep and come back in the morning. I’m here, for now, it’s alright.”

“No, no, no, I’m perfectly fine. I will stay here. Something might happen, I’ll stay here,” he said and before she tried to say something he cut her off and in a stern tone said, “I am staying here, Sophie. You cannot convince me otherwise.”

Her mind wandered off to a few weeks ago when she had come to see a similar scenario when Rose had broken her leg. It seemed like so long ago. She couldn’t help but let out a small chuckle while shaking her head.

“Something funny there?” he asked with a confused smile sat on his face.

“Nothing, just remembered how it was just a few days back when we were here with her broken leg.”

Daniel let out a small chuckle as he said, “Well, she attracts vehicles towards her, I suppose.”

Sophie laughed as she took her things and turned towards the door. But instead of going she looked at Daniel and said, “Hey Daniel,” gaining his attention she gave him a comforting smile and continued, “She’s a fighter, she’ll be alright.”

Daniel nodded as he gave her a tight-lipped smile and bid her goodbye.

“I hope so too, Sophie, I hope so too,” he muttered under his breath.

Comments

  1. Wow... excellent job ....ye dil maange more

    ReplyDelete
  2. खुप सुंदर लेख आहे अभिनंदन

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww....why there are these hurdles in between.????...why it cannot be straight....???? I am feeling so bad for Daniel. Poor fellow just had started building sone tuning and things went upside down.... Rose's life is becoming chambers of secrets...I just hope these panicking situation will be for a while... because Rose cannot just go like these...she had just pushed herself out of her rules box...i hope things shall turn better next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Rose had just started to lower her walls for Daniel.. These troubles might bring them closer..(or not?) Thank you for your wonderful comment as always!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Smart Ways To Deal with Mean Comments!!

Uncomfortable silence